THE 5 TENETS OF MODERN EVANGELICAL ABOLITIONISM:
ABOLITION IS CARRIED OUT BY PROVOKING A CLASH between the ways of God and the ways of man. As the foregoing pages have shown, abolitionists throughout history have not been driven by a secular impulse for social justice. They have understood themselves as called by God to live as Holy Warriors” raised up against the evils of their age. They have embraced the word of God and the gospel of Jesus Christ as their sure foundation. They have largely rejected the pragmatic schemes and political “wisdom” of men. They have denied the purported power of pluralistic appeals. They have scorned the incrementalist approaches preferred by faithless men.
AS WE REIGNITE THE ABOLITIONIST MOVEMENT IN AMERICA TODAY, WE ARE BUILDING IT ON THE FOLLOWING FIVE PRINCIPLES.
1. OUR WORK MUST BE EVANGELICAL. It must ultimately bring Glory to God and sinners to Christ. Abolition cannot merely be focused on “saving the babies.” Everyone involved in the Abortion debate in this country is either abiding in Christ or walking in death towards eternal damnation. We must take Lordship over what the world and worldly church know as the “Pro-Life Movement.”
2. WE MUST BE FULLY RELIANT ON THE PROVIDENCE OF GOD. Abolitionists do not trust in warhorses or chariots. We trust in the spiritual means and methods God has given to us in His Word. Abolitionists have always cried, “duty is ours, the results are God’s!” We look to the Spirit of God to lead us, believing He is our ever present guide and that He is not silent.
3. OUR WORK MUST BE GOSPEL-CENTERED. We recognize that the chief weapon we possess in the fight against abortion is the gospel. Abortion is sin and the only answer for sin is repentance and a saving faith in the finished work of Christ.
4. THIS WORK IS AN OBLIGATION OF THE CHURCH. We seek to awaken the Church to fulfill her ordained purpose to be salt and light in this sin spoiled and darkened world. The primary means God has ordained to display his manifold wisdom to the world is through his people, his body and bride. The church must take the gospel to the ends of the earth and bring it into conflict with every dark deed of man.
5. WE MUST MAKE NO COMPROMISE WITH SIN OR THE MEANS OF FIGHTING SIN. In light of the reality that abortion is sin, we call for its immediate and total abolition. God never suggests a gradual repentance of sin (individually, or nationally) but rather a radical cutting off and turning towards Christ alone in total faith.
Devotions of an Abolistionist